Approved On: June 18, 2020
Effective On: July 9, 2020
- It is unlawful for a nonresident to harvest any aquatic turtles.
- It is unlawful for a resident/business to: 1) import for commercial propagation or sale of aquatic turtle species native to the state; or 2) operate tackle, harvest, propagate, purchase or sell any wild-caught aquatic turtles for commercial purposes without the following permits:
- A Commercial Fisherman Permit and Sportfishing License, and either an Aquatic Turtle Harvest Permit or a Junior Aquatic Turtle Harvest Permit (for resident youths) are required to harvest and sell wild aquatic turtles.
- The bearer of an Aquatic Turtle Harvest Helper Permit may assist in the harvest or operate the properly tagged tackle of a licensed aquatic turtle harvester or dealer.
- A Commercial Fisherman Permit and Sportfishing License, and an Aquatic Turtle Dealer Permit are required to engage in the: 1) importation of aquatic turtle species native to the state for commercial propagation or sale; or 2) the harvest, propagation, purchase, sale or export of wild-caught aquatic turtles.
- An Aquatic Turtle Farmer Permit is required to engage in the propagation, sale or export of propagated aquatic turtles. This permit does not allow for the purchase, barter, trade, exchange or sale of wild-caught turtles.
- An Alligator Snapping Turtle Breeder/Dealer Permit is required to possess, buy, sell or offer to sell alligator snapping turtles or their eggs. Alligator snapping turtles longer than 5 inches curved carapace length may not be sold, bartered, traded, or transferred without written approval of the Commission. An affidavit form provided by the Commission specifying the transaction type (transfer or sale), party type (individual or business), and number of turtles, shall be submitted to the Commission. All sales of wild-caught aquatic turtles shall follow all transaction and reporting requirements (Code 34.07) in this chapter.
- A Wildlife Importation Permit (Code 9.10) is required for the importation of aquatic turtle species native to the state for commercial propagation or sale.
- Fish farmer permittees may harvest and sell turtles from their facilities with an Aquatic Turtle Harvest Permit.
- Fish markets selling only dressed turtles for human consumption in Arkansas are not required to have an Aquatic Turtle Dealer Permit.
PENALTY: Class 3