Approved On: May 19, 2022
Effective On: June 27, 2022
- All alligator, deer, turkey, bear, or elk shall be checked before leaving the state or being gifted to another and within 12 hours in which it was harvested (reduced to possession) by 1 of the approved checking methods listed below. A harvested animal may be field dressed and /or quartered to aid in removal from the field but the head must remain in close proximity (arms’s length) of all 4 quarters until checked. Otherwise, evidence the harvest is legal (antlers, turkey beard, etc.) must remain attached until checked and the check confirmation number acquired. Documentation of the confirmation number must accompany each harvest while afield at a processing facility, taxidermist or until the harvest reaches the point of final storage.
- All alligator shall be checked and CITES tag attached before leaving the state or being gifted to another. All alligator must be checked within 12 hours in which it was harvested.
- Hunters are required to submit a premolar from the harvested bear to the Wildlife Management Division within 7 days of receiving the premolar packet from AGFC.
- Youth are required to obtain a CID number prior to checking big game.
- All deer, adult gobblers, or bear injured or killed by incidental contact (non-hunting activity such as vehicle accident) must be reported to the AGFC Radio Room (800-482-9262) and an official salvage tag number must be obtained through AGFC before the animal or parts thereof can be possessed from the point of initial contact.
Wildlife Checking Methods:
- Internet: Deer, bear, elk, alligator or turkey checking online website or mobile application.
- Elk Only: Hunters must check each elk online before the end of the calendar day in which it was harvested and present the elk’s head to an AGFC employee. During this process, hunters are required to allow the collection of viable samples from the head for Chronic Wasting Disease testing.
- Bear Only: Hunters must check each bear online within 12 hours of harvest. Hunters are required to submit a premolar from the harvested bear to the Wildlife Management Division within 7 days of receiving the premolar packet from AGFC.
- Alligator Only: Hunters must check each alligator online within 12 hours of harvest. The USFWS CITES tag will be mailed to successful hunters upon verification of online checking. The CITES tag is to be affixed to the alligator approximately 6 inches from the tip of the tail by the hunter.
- Phone: The designated deer, turkey toll-free checking number.
PENALTY: Class 2