Approved On: May 19, 2022
Effective On: Jan. 1, 2023
It is unlawful to use tackle for taking or attempting to take baitfish from waters of the state other than as specified below. Only baitfish may be retained for bait, and all other species of fish must be immediately returned to the waters where taken. The tackle allowed for taking baitfish is as follows:
- Seines not in excess of 50 feet long and 4 feet in depth with square mesh of 1/4 inch.
- Square traps or lifts not exceeding 6 feet by 6 feet by 3 feet in depth, and round traps not exceeding 3 feet in diameter and 6 feet long with up to 3/4 inch wire or mesh and throat size of 2 inches square.
- Throw nets and casting nets with square mesh not larger than 1 inch, or shad trawl nets with square mesh not larger than 1 inch.
- Plastic or wire mesh minnow traps not in excess of 1 gallon capacity with throat size of not more than 1.5 inches.
- Hand-operated dip nets or lifts with up to 1 inch square bar mesh used to take legal baitfish for personal use while in the act of sport fishing day or night.
A person using tackle defined in Codes 32.04(B) or 32.04(D) must clearly label the tackle in a durable manner with the person's name and address, driver’s license number, AGFC customer identification number, or current vehicle license plate number.
PENALTY: Class 1